Best Marketing Award - Goals
The ICCA Best Marketing Award, established in 1997, recognises the excellence and outstanding achievements of organisations in their effort to market their destination or product. Entries can range from full scale campaigns and branding exercises to individual promotions and events. The ICCA Best Marketing Award is open to all ICCA members, regardless of their sector.
Finalists present on Tuesday at the ICCA Congress and the winner is chosen by judges and delegates on a 50:50 basis. The winner is announced at the Closing session of the Congress (Wednesday). Submission components consist of: innovation and creativity, research and rationale, return on investment, success in meeting the objectives and communication.
- Flanders Meeting and Convention Center Antwerp
- International Convention Centre Sydney (ICC Sydney)
2017 Flanders Meeting and Convention Center Antwerp
2016 London & Partners
2015 Halifax Convention Centre
2014 Monaco Convention Bureau
2013 Gdansk Convention Bureau, Poland
2012 Bureau of Foreign Trade Ministry of Economic Affairs, Chinese Taipei
2011 Glasgow City Marketing Bureau and Scottish Exhibition & Conference Centre, United Kingdom
2010 Iceland Convention and Incentive Bureau, Iceland
2009 Norway Convention Bureau, Norway
2008 Sarawak Convention Bureau, Malaysia
2007 Promo Leader Service, Italy
2006 Glasgow City Marketing Bureau Ltd., United Kingdom
2005 Grazer Congress, Austria
2004 Perth Convention Bureau, Australia
2003 Kursaal Centre, Spain
2002 Ovation Group, Ireland
2001 Perth Convention Bureau, Australia
2000 Palais des Congres de Montreal, Canada
1999 Edinburgh International Conference Centre, U.K.
1998 International Convention Centre Durban, South Africa
1997 Boston, Americas Walking City, U.S.A.
The judging panel consists of the following members:
- Patrick Delaney, SoolNua, BMA chairman
- David Chapple, The Meetings Show, official BMA sponsor
- Dawn Baldwin, Halifax Convention Centre, winner 2015
- Juan Jose Garcia, Barcelo Congresos, ICCA BOD representative
- Tracy Halliwell, London & Partners, winner 2016
- Anja Stas, Flanders Meeting and Convention Center Antwerp, winner 2017
Prizes & ROI
For the finalists
For the winner
- A free registration (1 person per company) to come to the ICCA Congress the following year
- Acknowledgement on the ICCA Website
- Acknowledgement in Members Update Online
- A complimentary full page advertisement in the ICCA Membership Directory, worth approx. EUR 2,795.
- A complimentary 9sqm stand (shell scheme with one furniture package or space only) at The Meetings Show, and a half-page advertisement in The Meetings Show guide, worth approx. EUR 12,100.
- A personalised award to display in their office.
- A personalised logo to use on their website, emails or promotional literature.
- Acknowledgement on the ICCA Website.
- Acknowledgement in Members Update Online.
Should a competing show win the Best Marketing Award, ICCA will offer an alternative prize.
If you have any questions about the Best Marketing Award, please contact Mieke van Loenen, email@example.com.
How to submit
The competition is open to all ICCA Members (individual ICCA members, or groups of ICCA members working together). Members may submit any marketing campaign or project which is related to the international meetings market, which demonstrates excellence in marketing, and which was undertaken at least partially during the 18 months prior to the Congress at which the BMA entry will be presented. Entries should be submitted in digital format, no more than 12 pages in length. Links to video's must be included in the digital format. No printed materials are required. The entry must cover the following:
- What were the marketing challenges being addressed?
- What is innovative and creative about the campaign/project; what lessons can other ICCA members learn from your ideas?
- How was the campaign/project undertaken - demonstrate the professionalism involved by setting out all the key steps.
- Set out detailed objectives/targets and explain how well these were met, covering both financial and non-financial issues.
- All submissions must be received by ICCA Head Office by 15 September 2018. You can send your submission to Mieke van Loenen, Director Events: firstname.lastname@example.org
Examples of marketing that can be submitted:
- Innovative marketing to boost attendance or sponsorship for individual events (either established or brand new).
- Integrated marketing campaign covering all areas of the marketing mix by a venue or meetings management company.
- Rebranding of a city or country destination.
- Successful collaborative promotional event by a consortium of ICCA members.
- Tactical marketing campaign to overcome a negative business environment.
- Creative use of limited marketing budget to generate excellent return on investment.
- Launch campaign of a new meetings industry product or service.
Announcements of finalists: End of September 2018
Best Marketing Award 2018 Plenary Session - finalists' presentations: Tuesday 13 November 2018 at the ICCA Congress in Dubai, U.A.E.
Announcement of the winner and BMA 2018 Award giving: Wednesday 14 November 2018, during the Closing Ceremony.
Submissions from past winners
To view the entries from past Best Marketing Award winners, please click on the Finalists tab.
The following elements will be looked at when determining the finalists.
- Creativity and innovation.
- Quality of execution/professionalism in how the marketing was carried out.
- Achievement of ambitious, clearly defined targets and objectives.
- Return on Investment
- Quality and effectiveness of communication.
The same elements will be used for determining the winner. Both judges and audience will be voting on each entry, with the balance of the votes split 50-50 between audience and judging panel.
The Meetings Show
The Meetings Show has refreshed, redefined and reinvented the platform for those that are truly serious in doing business and has become the premier U.K. event for the meetings industry. Taking place in June 2018 at Olympia, London the event which is organised by meeting professionals for meeting professionals combines a large exhibition, networking opportunities and unrivalled professional education. The hosted buyer programme, the largest in the U.K., will attract buyers from the corporate, association, agency and public sectors. The show will feature destinations from over 50 countries across 6 continents, venues, hotels and providers of meetings products and services.